About Clinpath Pathology
At Clinpath, we are committed to providing a personalised, responsive professional service to all our clients.
Pathology is probably the most hidden medical specialty but is vital for diagnosis, monitoring of disease, guiding treatment and preventative health.
• 100% of cancers are diagnosed by pathology
• An estimated 70% of medical decisions require pathology results
• 1 in 3 problems seen by a GP requires a pathology test
• 1 in 2 Australians have a pathology test every year
Pathology is vital for cancer screening such as tests for cervical cancer (HPV) and bowel cancer.
Tests diagnose and monitor many chronic conditions.
For example, South Australia has the highest rate of diabetes compared to other states. Regular HbA1c tests are vital for managing diabetes effectively and preventing complications such as kidney disease, vision impairment or amputation.
Several areas in South Australia have high prevalence of heart disease. Blood tests are important in monitoring risk factors for heart disease such as high cholesterol, and tests such as troponin can be used to quickly diagnose a heart attack.
Around 20k babies are born each year in South Australia. Pregnant women undergo multiple tests during pregnancy to check the health of them and their babies. The newborn screening test is offered for every baby to check for serious health conditions, which can be better managed or treated if caught early.
Significant resource has been allocated to ensure the provision of a reliable pathology service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to support the urgent and routine requirements of our referring doctors and private hospitals at all hours on any day.
There are over 140 Collection Centres located across Adelaide and regional South Australia for patient convenience.
We operate laboratories at the Calvary Adelaide Hospital, Calvary North Adelaide Hospital, Calvary Central Districts Hospital, Tennyson Centre, St Andrew's Hospital, St Andrew's Oncology and Western Hospital.
Our Calvary Adelaide Hospital laboratory operates 365 days per year, 24 hours a day, and is staffed to respond to emergency situations at all times.
Our Executive Team
At Clinpath, we pride ourselves on our personalised service to our clients, and we encourage you to contact our Executive Team, Pathologists or Client Relations Department if you have any queries, suggestions or concerns.
We are a major private state employer and the state’s largest private employer of Pathologists. Our over 700 strong workforce includes 36 Pathologists with specialties in all the major sub-disciplines of pathology.
Sonic Healthcare Limited is the parent company of Clinpath Pathology.
Since its establishment in 1987, Sonic Healthcare has grown to become the world’s third largest pathology/laboratory medicine company with operations in eight countries.
Leading the way in Pathology services
Clinpath’s success has always been driven by the innate understanding that Medical Leadership facilitates the highest standards of professional and operational excellence for the doctors and patients that we serve.
- Clinpath Laboratories was formed in 1985 by two pathologists, Dr Svante Orell and Dr Edward Chandraratnam, as a Fine Needle Aspiration Clinic located in North Adelaide.
- Clinpath moved to larger premises in 1988 with the establishment of Histopathology and Cytology. Over the next twelve months pathology services were expanded to include the disciplines of Microbiology, Haematology, Clinical Chemistry and Transfusion.
- In 1992 Clinpath was purchased by Douglass Laboratories (based in SA and NSW). The merger of the two practices proved highly successful as it brought together a core of experienced and committed staff and ensured financial stability.
- At the same time Douglass Laboratories was listed publicly and Sonic Healthcare was born.
- In 1995 Clinpath Laboratories purchased Path Lab and all pathology services were consolidated at the current main laboratory site in Kent Town.
- The next decade saw Clinpath's expansion into the hospital environment with on site laboratories established in the Ashford and Wakefield Hospitals.
- By 2009 Clinpath had five hospital laboratories operating in Ashford Hospital, Calvary Wakefield, Calvary North Adelaide, Western Hospital and St Andrew's Hospital in addition to the main testing facility at Kent Town.
- In 2019, Clinpath Pathology's main laboratory moved to it's Mile End location after closing Kent Town laboratory.
- Due to the development of the Calvary Adelaide Hospital and it's subsequent opening from end 2019, Clinpath Pathology closed the Calvary Wakefield Laboratory and opened Calvary Adelaide Laboratory in January 2020.